West of the Moon
A Tolkien Fanfiction Archive
The Making of Samwise
A history of Samwise Gamgee's life as he grows into his destiny.
Author: Bill The Pony
0. A Visit to Bag End - Bored during his parents' visit to Bilbo, Frodo goes wandering.
1. The Elf in the Garden - Sam finds someone unexpected in the garden at Bag End.
2. Lessons - Sam makes an arrangement regarding his future.
3. An Argument - Sam nearly loses his chance for an education.
4. Weeding - Sam learns valuable lessons about gardening.
5. A Lazy Afternoon - Frodo reads Sam a story.
6. Baking - Sam helps his mother in the kitchen.
7. Early Spring - Frodo and Sam spend a spring morning outdoors.
8. Friends and Friends - Some friends are better than others.
9. Birthing - Trouble arises in the Gamgee household.
10. Passing - Sam goes missing in a time of great trouble.
11. Watering - Frodo and the Gaffer each make a startling discovery about Sam.
12. Haying - Bees in the hay make for a bittersweet afternoon.
13. Journeying - Parental disobedience has both drawbacks and rewards.
14. Cherry-Picking - Temptation in the orchard and a hard lesson.
15. A Promise - Sam visits relatives and suffers the consequences of indiscretion.
16. A Bitter Bargain - Home once more, Sam faces an adjusted relationship with his employers.
17. Vassal - Sam keeps to his place.
18. A Dance - Sam attends a dance at the Cotton farm.
19. Jolly Cotton - Jolly learns a secret.
20. Like Breathing Air - Preparations are made for a birthday party.
21. But in Dreams - Sam's subconscious mind struggles with his desire.
22. A Birthday Present - Sam receives a gift from his master.
23. Thief - Jolly makes a hard decision about Sam.
24. A Visit - Sam talks over his thoughts with a loved one.
25. Tea and Jam - Sam takes on new responsibilities at Bag End.
26. Eye to Eye - Sam confronts the Gaffer with his new position.
27. A Quiet Morning - Frodo wakes early.
28. Helping Hands - Lives hang on the decisions of an instant.
29. Caring Hands - Sam is tended by those who love him best.
30. Loving Hands - Sam asks a question.
31. A Hedge of Thorn - Jolly spends an afternoon alone.
32. Catching Snowflakes - The first snowfall of winter blankets the Shire.
33. Letting Go - Sam and Jolly have an overdue conversation.
34. Sledding - Young hobbits enjoy a lovely winter afternoon.
35. Distractions - Bilbo expands Sam's job description.
36. A Handful of Down - Sam clears up a mess.
37. Obedience - Pippin learns a lesson in leadership.
38. Woodcutting - Winter draws on and Sam settles into his new job.
39. Contentment - Yule feasting leads to a pleasant evening.
40. Morning Bath - Frodo's bath proves to be anything but relaxing.
41. Beekeeping - Frodo and Sam help to hive a swarm of bees.
42. Ale and Talk - Jolly and the Gaffer have a serious discussion.
43. Soda and Stings - Sam and Frodo tend each other's bee stings.
44. An Unpleasant Evening - A conversation with Lotho Sackville-Baggins turns sour.
45. A Short Journey - Frodo and Sam ride home from Michel Delving.
46. Legalities - Jolly and Sam face the music.
47. Training - Frodo prepares for his duel with Lotho Sackville-Baggins.
48. A Table for Six - Sam overhears an unpleasant discussion.
49. Fisticuffs - Frodo duels with Lotho Sackville-Baggins.
50. Waymeet - On the way home from Michel Delving, the dueling party stops at an inn.
51. A Shortage of Beer - A house party tests Bag End's stores of ale-- and Sam's patience.
52. Market Day - Sam runs afoul of Lobelia.
53. Here Be Dragons - Frodo watches Sam cook mutton.
54. Fire Dance - Dwarves make plans while Sam watches and worries.
55. Cherry Harvest - Cherries are picked and Rosie is on the make, but nobody is sent away to Tighfield.
56. Soon - Sam does more than he ought.
57. Waiting - Sam waits for Frodo's 33rd birthday.
58. A Long-Expected Party - Sam takes care of neglected duties.
59. Doorwarden - Sam moves in to Bag End.
60. First Breakfast - Sam enjoys the perks of resident service in Bag End.
61. Wills and Testaments - Sam endures an unexpected inquiry.
62. A Quiet Word - Sam is reassured.
63. A Misty Morning - Frodo takes up his duties to the Shire.
64. Hay and Honeycakes - Sam visits the Cotton farm and inadvertently encounters Frodo.
65. A Melancholy Master - Frodo returns to Bag End, saddened by losing Bilbo.
66. A Plan for Walking - Frodo and Sam decide what to do with their leisure time.
67. A Rare Tale - Frodo overhears an unusual story.
68. An Autumn Ramble - Frodo and Sam work at getting to know one another again as they take a pleasant stroll.
69. Friends and Family - Frodo and Sam encounter the Ropers' show.
70. A Bawdy Show - Mallow has a surprise for the good folk of Nobottle.
71. A Long Night - Sam fends off numerous unwanted bedpartners and experiences a revelation.
72. Airs and Heirs - Frodo and Sam are interrupted by Tooks.
73. At Last - Frodo and Sam find a moment to themselves.
74. A New Dawn - Frodo and Sam share a lovely morning.
75. The Beginning - Sam trims the verge
Back to Slash Story Listing